Please read all information carefully, as how and when absentee ballots are counted has changed. Voters no longer have the ability to request an absentee ballot and then later change their mind and vote in person. Any questions should be directed to the Board of Elections by calling 845-334-5470, Monday through Friday 9am-5pm or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
To request an absentee ballot you may apply for one in any of the following ways:
- Download an absentee ballot application (English application)
- Online Absentee Portal – electronic application
- NYS Fillable Absentee ballot application
- Download an absentee ballot (Spanish application)
- Handicapped Accessible Electronic Absentee Ballot Application
Mail your Application to:
Ulster County Board of Elections
79 Hurley Ave, Suite 112
Kingston, NY 12401
Email your completed application to: email@example.com
If a voter chooses to vote by absentee, they should expect to receive a ballot with two envelopes, an inner oath envelope and an outer return envelope. Once the ballot is marked and placed in the inner envelope, it is critical that the voter sign, and date the inner absentee ballot envelope on the space provided and seal it. That is placed in the outer envelope, which has the Board’s return mail information printed on it, and returned to the Board of Elections.
Military / Overseas Information
- Download Milliary/Overseas Voter Application
- Federal Voting Assistance Program Website
- Military and Overseas Federal Voting Website
- Video – How To Vote Absentee when you are in the Military
- Absentee ballots must be requested. They will not automatically be mailed unless you apply using the reason “Permanent Illness”
- For additional information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (845)334-5470
- Printable PDF of Absentee Ballot Changes effective 4/1/2022
- NYS Canvassing Guidance effective 4/1/2022
You may vote by absentee ballot if you will be:
- unavoidably absent from your county on Election Day
- unable to appear at the polls due to illness or disability
- a patient in a Veterans’ Administration Hospital
- detained in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony
- Unable to appear at the polls due to temporary or permanent illness or disability
- Unable to appear because you are the primary care giver of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled.
August 8, 2022 – Last day to postmark, email, or fax application or letter for August 23rd Primary Ballot. Absentee ballot applications must be received by the BOE not later than 15 days before the election. You may continue to apply for an absentee in person and receive your ballot over the counter through August 22, 2022 by visiting the Ulster BOE at NEW LOCATION: 79 Hurley Avenue, Kingston NY 12401.
August 22, 2022 – Last day to apply in person for Primary Election ballot.
August 23, 2022 – Last day to postmark Primary Election ballot. Must be received by the county board no later than August 30, 2022. Last day to deliver a primary election ballot in person to your county board or your poll site, by close of polls on election day.
October 24, 2022 – Last day to postmark application or letter for the November 8, 2022 General Election. Absentee ballot applications by mail or electronic portal must be received by the BOE not later than 15 days before the General Election. You may continue to apply for an absentee in person and receive your ballot over the counter through November 7, 2022 by visiting the Ulster BOE at NEW LOCATION: 79 Hurley Avenue, Kingston, NY 12401.
November 7, 2022 – Last day to apply in person for General Election ballot.
November 8, 2022- Last day to postmark General Election ballot. Must be received by the county board no later than Nov. 15th. Last day to deliver General Election ballot in person to your county board or your poll site, by close of polls on election day.